Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blenheim ginger ale is crazy hot.

I do a lot of shopping at the Raleigh Farmer's Market. I was there this past Saturday, and I was looking for something specific; canning supplies. Specifically, I was looking for powdered ascorbic acid. I didn't find any there, but I did see something unusual in one of the vendor's coolers - Blenheim ginger ale.

I think maybe I've heard of it, a long time ago, maybe I read something about it. Pretty sure this was the first time I saw it in person, available for purchase. If you're going to be at the Farmer's Market soon, this was a vendor in one of the indoor buildings. Pretty sure it was close to the end of the building near the snack bar, on that side - but I didn't catch the name.

The guy running the stand saw me looking at at, and asked if he could help me. I asked him what he knew about it. He said he had 2 varieties, hot and "not as hot" and that it was bottled near "Pedro's South of The Border". I know of Pedros. At a dollar a bottle it wasn't a bargain, but I wanted to try it anyway. I opted for the "hot" and he obliged me with a bottle opener.

Wow! To say this ginger ale is hot just doesn't do it justice. To say it 'slaps you in the face, steals your lunch money and makes you cry' would be more accurate. The stuff has quite a few fans. It's really too hot to drink casually, but my mouth did become somewhat acclimated to the burning. It's an enjoyable burn though, and I want to get another few bottles the next time I'm there, I think my wife would like it a lot. No High Fructose Corn Syrup either - just good old sucrose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you in favor of irradating food?